Recognition of Diplomas
Overview of the Recognition of Foreign Diplomas Process In Portugal
Find DGES brochure
The registry/recognition of degrees in Portugal, is regulated by the Decree-Law nr. 283/83 (21st June, PT version only) and Ministrial Order nr. 1071/83 (29th December, PT version only) and the Decree-Law nr. 341/2007 (12th October, PT version only) and by the Ministerial Order nr. 29/2008 (10th January, PT version only), which establish a new regime of recognition of foreign academic degrees that present identical level, nature and objectives to those of the degrees of licenciado, mestre and doutor awarded by Portuguese higher education institutions, and therefore attributing the same legal rights as the Portuguese degrees.
The list of countries/degrees which can benefit from this scheme are included in the General Resolutions issues by the Commission of recognition of foreign degrees.
How to apply for diploma registry / recognition
If your degree is included in the the general resolutions issued by the Commission of recognition of foreign degrees, you can apply for diploma registry/ recognition directly to:
- a Portuguese Public University (see the The List of Higher Education Institutions in Portugal)
- or, the General Direction of Higher Education
- The registration application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- The original diploma, or a document issued by the competent authorities of the foreign higher education institution which proves, unequivocally, that the degree has been conferred;
- The original or certified copy of the document attesting the final classification, issued by the competent authorities of the foreign higher education institution;
- A copy of the dissertation / thesis (digital CD/DVD or paper format), for cases of registration of the degree of Master or Doctor and the translation of the title page of the dissertation / thesis (only). There is no translation requirements if your dissertation /thesis is writen in spanish, french, english or italian. When needed, tranlations can be certified at the Portuguese Consulate in the country where the degree is granted, notaries, registration officers, lawyers and solicitors.
Emoluments: maximum € 26,80
Expected time for Delivery: maximum 1 months after request
- To apply through the General Direction of Higher Education:
Send the Template for Diploma registration request, requested documentation and payment (using a bank check issued to "Direção-Geral do Ensino Superior" or a proof of bank transfer to Agência de Gestão da Tesouraria e da Dívida Pública - IGCP, E.P.E.; IBAN: PT50078101120000000785189 SWIFT: IGCPPTPL, with the reference "Registo-DL341/2007 ".
The application can be requested by mail, or directly on the spot (every Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 to 12:30):
Direção-Geral do Ensino Superior
Av. Duque de Ávila, 137
- Apply through a Portuguese Public University
Contact the Portuguese Public University of your choice (The List of Higher Education Institutions in Portugal), gather the requested documentation and fill in the form for diploma registration in a Portuguese Public University.
Contact the General Direction of the Higher Education (DGES)
Direct phone: +351 213 126 000 (mondays, wednesdays and fridays 9:30 - 12:30)
or the DGES E-Desk
Some Reference Documents
- Referencing the Portuguese National Qualifications Framework to the European Qualifications Framework (2011)
- The European Recognition Manual for Higher Institutions (2014)
Information provided by EURAXESS Portugal